OT & OPD

I wanted to be a pilot once, because I thought it was the busiest multitasking job. Should thank my partial color blindness for distracting me from it because inside the Medical Officer inside the Out-Patient Department holds that record.

He was attending phone calls, sending commands, instructing PGs, attesting certificates, examining patients and in between all that teaching us third term students - how pain in abdomen is the most common case sent to surgery OPD, how Upper Urinary Tract Infection appears as radiating pain from loin to groin, how carcinoma breast is immediately admitted, how difficulty in defecation is mostly due to fistula in ano (and we saw per rectal examination on the first day), how his guess of Helicobacter pylori infection was right about a PA, how inguinal lymph nodes swell in lower UTI...

I texted my sister right after the class "excited like non-anesthetized nerves from a freshly cut limb"

And then Operation theatre on Wednesday after Gandhi Jayanthi.
Saw appendicectomy and hernioplasty. Skipped pharmacology class at 11 to see the latter through.
How sutures are made, how to cut with the tip of the scissors (like my dad always used to say "surgeon's tip"), how to support the scissors with the other hand so that the cut can be precise, the ovary, the spermatic cord, the iliac artery that was spared from being pierced, the mesh used to contain hernia within, the sac of hernia, the appendix, the windows in the mesogastrium (or whatever that's called), everything, spinal anesthesia, normal anesthesia, fistulectomy, and a complicated surgery on the other table.

No comments:

Don't Jump On Private Healthcare

Follow me

@asdofindia on Twitter
@learnlearnin on Telegram

About Me

My photo
I am a general practitioner rooted in the principles of primary healthcare. I am also a deep generalist and hold many other interests. If you want a medical consultation, please book an appointment When I'm not seeing patients, I code software, advise health-tech startups, and write blogs. Follow me by subscribing to my writings